POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : subdivision surfaces and patches : Re: subdivision surfaces and patches Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:05:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: subdivision surfaces and patches
From: Chris Huff
Date: 10 Mar 2001 11:20:18
Message: <chrishuff-178997.11163210032001@news.povray.org>
In article <3aa616a9@news.povray.org>, "Peter Cracknell"
<pc### [at] lineonenet> wrote:

> Fair point, but when I picture subdivision in action I picture a modeller
> actually in control and view of a mesh which then gets 'subdivided',
> POV-Ray could subdivide therefore, but in general the subdivision
> will be of imported mesh's won't it anyway?  So yes it could be used,
> just not as ideally as people would like.

I'm not sure I understand...subdivision would be used on meshes, height
fields, and other mesh-based objects, and a lot of meshes are generated
within scene files...and I don't see why it wouldn't be useful for
imported meshes. You could get away with much smaller files, and get
much lower RAM usage. (At the cost of some render time, though it could
also be more efficient, by only subdividing triangles when necessary.
And if you really want speed, you could subdivide the entire mesh before
rendering.)
In fact, to get the best out of subdivision surfaces, you *have* to have
it built into the renderer...there's no way around it.
Sure, you could also use a modeller, but then you are restricted to
externally generated meshes, huge files, and high RAM requirements.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><